Some songs take me back. Some styles of music take me back. That's what this post is sort of about....
I remember when I was in the 6th grade. All of my peers (or so it seemed) listed to music and I didn't, really. I mean of course I'd listen to whatever was on the radio while we traveled to and from school or places and I remember liking music. It just wasn't part of my life like it was for other kids.
When I entered high school I forced myself to try liking music a bit more and I found a love in The Doors. More so, Val Kilmer who played Jim Morrison in the Oliver Stone Movie, "The Doors". Oh, where, or where have you gone, Val? Sigh.
The Val that I once loved:
And now....
:/
Anyway, I loved The Doors, and Led Zeppelin and then got into all of this crazy Brit Pop with Blur and Oasis, and Pulp and Radiohead and The Chemical Brothers and a whole slew of other bands and went to a ton of concerts with my friends throughout high school. Fun times, good memories but music still wasn't my life.Then, in college, I sort of didn't have time for music anymore. Kinda like in grade school and where am I going with this?!
Basically, I gave up loving music because it always took a back seat and other things came first. I'd hear a song on the radio and love it and then move on. Because of this precise thing, I tend to have a really eclectic taste in music now. Lots of classical (when the hubs and kiddos are in the car), preschool and toddler music when giving baths to the kids, crazy dance and pop when I'm alone in the car....
Then I came upon M83. They played a song recently, "Midnight City", on the radio and I LOVED it. Something in that song took me back. Straight back to the 1980's. Sitting on the floor of my brothers' darkened room during the summer playing Nintendo for hours on end. Specifically it takes me back to the summers of my childhood for some strange reason. I'm memorized by it. I started exploring them on YouTube and love their "Steve McQueen" song, too. Their videos are AWESOMELY 80's in a mysterious way, not a cheesy way. I miss the 80's. Or maybe I just miss my youth.
/randomness.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I miss the 80's too... they were fantastic. Poor Val Kilmer....age got him! :p
ReplyDeleteSigh.....Val Kilmer.....remember when he was Iceman in Top Gun and was hot even in tighty whiteys?
ReplyDeleteYeah.
Me too
Rebecca, I LOVE your book and I ordered a copy for all my friends and family including my sister in law, the author of this charming blog. Thank you for writing it!! :-)
DeleteLadies! Hold the phone! A few days ago Val was on a local radio show being interviewed about Top Gun 2 or something! Although something about him seemed decidedly dorky and Old Man, he was still kinda hot! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd Rebecca!! Andrea(see above) and I love your book!!:)