I'm not sure how I feel about all of this.
Recently, I reconnected with a friend on Facebook which led to about 7 more reconnections to other friends. We were all in the same grade school. Going to a Catholic, private school, meant that we were all pretty close when we graduated. Of course, as "being close in grade school" goes, we all lost touch with each other about two years into high school. I guess I can only speak for myself in that regard. I lost touch with almost every single person I went to grade school with. When this happened, I was more than OK with this. There were cliques, and we were all just ready to move on to new friendships, new adventures. So I continued through high school only vaguely caring about how these people were doing, and I sometimes wondered about the ones who I actually liked and were close to.
Fast forward 16 years (GAH! That is SCARY) and now I am "friends" with most of my classmates from grade school on Facebook. I just don't know how to feel about it all. It feels so odd reconnecting and learning about who these people have ultimately become. The "bully" who called my dad a pig (since he was a Los Angeles Police Officer. It was during the riots and it was 6th grade and yeah, we were pretty immature) and I just had a lovely conversation on FB. He is now a product manager for Lucky Brand jeans. Go fig! It is also interesting to see who is married, who isn't.
I doubt that any one of these people and I will ever be as "close" as we were in grade school, but it is sort of nice to have that part of my life, back in my life again. Even if it is only in a vague, Facebook way.....it is definitely like feeling as though I have come full circle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

fb is the only way i stay in touch with old friends. sadly perhaps, its as close as i want to be to any of them.
ReplyDeleteHi Sara,
ReplyDeleteI got your comment. Send me your email address and I will email you. I just wrote a long piece on this subject for my upcoming book on visiting Dland with kids. I'll cut and paste parts out of my manuscript, plus a few other tidbits. :) lisa at babesindisneyland dot com
:) Lisa