So, we're moving! AHHH! As many of you know I've been stuck here in the Midwest for three years now. My husband was working at the local university and is being laid off due to budget cuts. For the last year we have known this and for the last year my husband dutifully submitted his resume to colleges. Out of almost 30 colleges, only three took an interest. One was a community college in Wyoming. One was a private college in Springfield(where we're at right now) and one was a Baptist college 30 miles north of Springfield. All three did not work out. We were at a panicking point earlier this month. He loses his health insurance come July 31st and we were planning on trying for another baby soon (August-ish). We had accepted that we would never be moving back to California. I was starting to accept this as an OK solution as long as my husband worked where he was appreciated, where he was happy, and where he was paid more than poverty wages(I am not joking here. It was ridiculous). ANYWHERE was better than HERE without a job, so he really submitted applications all over the United States.
Earlier this month, a teaching job in his field opened up at my high school Alma mater near my hometown in California. What luck! I encouraged him to apply. My parents graciously flew him out to California when they wanted to interview him and the rest is history. He is unique in that he has a PhD. and will be teaching high school, but I think my husband sees this as an opportunity to move up as well. There is only one other person at that school with a doctorate. That's the principal. :) At the university he was teaching only as an instructor with really nowhere to go. So,John accepted the job and here we are. Moving back to California early August. We're putting our home up for sale and having garage sales and fixing up the place and yeah.....it's really going to happen.
The sad part is that when the news finally sunk in, that I'd be back home, I could barely think of three things I'd miss about Springfield. We just....never got along. I have a handful of friends that I will miss dearly, but even my best friend lives on the West coast. I think my moving to Springfield was ultimately a good thing, however. After 26 years of living under the care of my parents, it was good to start a new life away from them, with my new husband. We were able to pay off our debt, and start a family, and I was able to become a mediocre homemaker which is better than what I used to be! I learned frugality. I learned how to drive in ice! I learned about Okra. I learned about gardening and Mulberries. I learned how to fix leaks and how to be a responsible homeowner. I learned how to bake and cook. I lost 100 pounds! I learned more about my faith. I grew closer to my husband. These are things that blessed our stay here in Missouri.
That said, I'M COMING HOME!!!!!!!!! *does Snoopy Happy Dance* I don't think I could be happier right now! So much to plan and think about and be excited for. It will be stressful moving cross country, but it will also be a grand adventure, and I am totally up for it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your best friend is VERY glad that you're moving back to her time zone! Dude! WE WILL BE IN THE SAME TIME ZONE AGAIN! And did I tell you that Southwest has cheap flights? It's only a few hours by air from LA to Portland and vice versa.
ReplyDeleteSo exciting!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to him and all of you! :D Can't imagine how excited you are to be going back to CA! I a a lil bit jelaous!
ReplyDelete