Thursday, July 15, 2010

5K, here I come!

So.

Saturday, as in this Saturday, I will be participating in my first ever 5K. I am beyond excited!

I won't necessarily be running the entire thing. I have been "training" for this for two months. I discovered the route on-line and have been trying to do the same route each day for the last 8 weeks. Actually, more than 8 weeks. Also, I think I have only missed 3 days or something like that. I'm pumped! I'm ready! I cannot WAIT to get my goodie bag and t-shirt, woot!

I tried running it last week. When I walk the route, I average between 45-48 minutes. When I walk pushing Henry in his stroller, I average about 50 minutes. When I ran most of it, I made it in about 41 minutes. I think I can shave it down to 38 or 40 minutes but I will be exhausted. However, aren't you supposed to be tired after a race like this? Did I mention I'm excited?

If you had told me last year in March when I weighed 276 pounds (yes, I realize I just put that out there for all the Internet to read) I would have been very.....well, honestly, I would have been excited to know that one day I'd be fit enough to almost run 3.1 miles. Running is just plain FUN for me. It's one of those "hobbies" that I always thought would be really fun if I was thin enough to actually do it. So I am now and although I have some trouble with my knees when I do run (I'm thinking I need new shoes), it's such an enjoyable experience.

So, I look forward to Saturday and to the future 5Ks I plan to attempt. I'm going to have the husband take pics of me before and after and hopefully during and I want to get those posted and shared with you all.

'Cuz I'm just so darn excited! If I hadn't mentioned that.

And proud. It's neat to be able to set your mind to do something and to actually attempt it. I have to thank Weight Watchers for that because if they had not issued their 5K Walk It Challenge earlier this summer, I would not have attempted this. They had me walking 5 minutes a day, to 10, to 12, to 15, to 20 to 25, then to 30 and 35 and then to 45 minutes over the course of 6 weeks. It was very manageable and easy to accomplish.

Speaking of Weight Watchers, in June I heard news that I was one of 100 First Place Winners in their Healthy Role Model Contest for 2010! I won a 100 dollar gift card to Macy's and I also won a media opportunity here in my town. They will be donating 96 pounds of food (the equivalent to the weight I lost when entering the contest) to a local food bank in my name. They will be taking my photo next to the donated food and I may be interviewed by the news, etc. Fun, huh?

I'll keep ya'll posted!

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This is perhaps the happiest post I've read in three days. I love hearing stories of people getting all active and healthy. Sounds like you definitly earned that first place - although feeling healthy is the real first price, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so right--the fact that I lost the weight is the best prize, ever! :)

    buuut, being able to splurge at Macy's was fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooohoooooo! GO YOU!!!! That is seriously awesome that you have set the goal to do it and achieved it. It's not easy to make yourself keep running and training, especially when you're so out of shape that you want to vomit (I do, anyway) but you've done it and I'm so proud of you! Wish I could be there to cheer you on, tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, thanks Katie! I wish you were, too. I mean, John is great and he'll be excited for me, but it IS an all girls' race and I need the woman love. LOL. You know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara! Your blog has given me hope. Right after I had the baby, my friend encouraged me to sign up for the Disneyland 5k. I did it thinking it would get my rear in gear to get in shape. I have 8 weeks to go and I can run/walk for 20-25 minutes on my treadmill. I have been pretty discouraged, but reading how you've trained has inspired me and I won't give up. I have to be able to do a 16-minute mile for the race. My goals is to be able to do the whole thing in 45 minutes. Thank you for the inspiration. I'll be back on my treadmill tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww, I'm so glad Lisa! Cliche, I know, but seriously--if *I* can do it, anybody can!! I can't wait for you to finish that race. The feeling is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did it??!?! I have walked 5k before but running, no way, though that is a goal for me. How do you find out about these Weight Watchers Challenges?

    I hopw that it went well, and that you made your time. I hope your knee held up too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheesh I am so dang proud of you.

    YOU. ARE. AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LB, The WW Challenge was given out maybe a few weeks before you joined. It was a pamphlet they gave out at the meeting. June 6th was the official walk it day and then you just trained up until then. It was a casual thing, but they even gave away charms at the WW meetings that had 5K's on them if you did end up doing one on your own or at a race.
    My knnes are doing good, yay! My time was 37, yay!

    Andrea, thanks sister! :)

    ReplyDelete