Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Friday Night Lights.

So last Friday evening I was invited, along with my husband, to a Faculty BBQ before Bishop Amat's first home game. Football and sports in general have always been HUGE at Amat. I remember being lucky enough to attend Amat during the Varsity Football's best season to date: We actually made it to the CIF Championships at the Coliseum in Los Angeles. We played Mater Dei and lost, but it is something etched in my memory. Being a part of something bigger than myself was fun. If only for a few hours, or a few years....

So back to the BBQ. It was lovely. I must admit it is so much easier to love your high school when you aren't, you know, attending there. I saw some old teachers(who I had previously said hello to at John's Back to School Night a few weeks ago)and said hello once again. I chatted a bit with Mrs. R who still insists I was one of her best art students. *Blush*. Dude, I totally ate that up. She claims she still shows off my AP Art human figure drawings every year to her new batches of students. *Blush*. I think I love her. Totally helped my ego. Especially since I really never felt I had a niche in high school, save for art.

So, we were served steak and yummy salad and onion rings and strawberry shortcake and overall it was really fun and relaxing. And free! And they had beer! For free! My parents had volunteered to watch little Henry so our date night was in full swing! Beer, steak, football. Not exactly a girl's dream per se, but still fun.

After eating dinner and chatting with John's faculty friends and the school principal and his wife, we headed out to the game. Very surreal. I hadn't been in that stadium since my high school graduation 12 years ago! GAH! I felt...old. I also felt like the high schoolers were so small and....young. Making me feel...older. It was ok,though! I got to chuckle and two little girls(Freshmen I imagine) giving my husband googly eyes and adoring him from afar. Haha! I love it. So typical. I totally had crushes on my teachers, who didn't?

I did feel very satisfied,though. I remembered throughout the night my own high school days. All of the awkwardness, the angst, the friend issues, the lack of good grades(in some classes) and I just had to laugh. Everything turned out pretty darn well for me in the end .....

And, we won.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds like a wonderful evening! I love football games! We're definitely going to have to try and catch an Amat game together if I get down there in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure!!! That'd be really, really fun considering faculty et al get in for free AND get front and center seats! :D

    ReplyDelete