Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Snarle and Smelly

When I was about 12 or so, I was playing soccer in the front yard of my best friend at the time, Kelly. We kicked the ball back and forth and after a few kicks, we started kicking harder and harder. I ended up kicking the ball into her parents' bushes. We went over to retrieve the ball and to our horror and girl disgust, I had managed to kill a snail.

From that day forward(until like, 7th grade) I was know as Snarle the Snail Killer. Kelly would call me that and I would call her Smelly(naturally,right?). Cutsie little nicknames that are forever etched in my mind. I wonder if she remembers?

I have known Kelly since I was in pre-school. Our moms have remained friends even though Kelly and I went our separate ways in high school. I sometimes wonder what would have happened had I gone to her high school. We probably would have drifted then, too. That's just how it goes I guess.

Last Saturday I was privileged to be able to scheme my way into, er--I mean gracefully attend Kelly's Bridal Shower. Since my mom was invited, she asked Kelly's sister if I could come,too. They said sure! It was not awkward in the least, I had a great time! I truly feel that wishing Kelly a wonderful new life with her future husband in person--and not through email or on Facebook--was such a beautiful way to cement our past friendship.
So, I'm raising my virtual wine glass to Kelly and Chris-- to a past friendship, and a new, exciting future! Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. You look great! And I love the dress! I'm glad you had a good time there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The dress I got at Ross for like 11 dollars, gah! Don't you love a great deal?! I seriously heart that dress! :)

    ReplyDelete